Breaking his silence over his omission from India's ODI team, Sourav Ganguly on Monday said that it was "disappointing" when his one-day record is only next best after Sachin Tendulkar, but he had "accepted" the selectors' decision.
A reticent former Indian captain was unwilling to be drawn into any discussion on his being ignored but even then his hurt shows.
"I am disappointed just like any other cricketer in not being a part of the one-day side as I had a great year last year and my one-day record is probably the next best after Sachin. It is disappointing but then I have accepted it", he told PTI in an interview.
Ganguly refused to answer questions about reports that he and Rahul Dravid were left out of the ODI team on the insistence of skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni. "I do not want to talk about it," he said.
Following are the other points made by the elegant left hander who was named alongwith Sachin Tendulkar as the BCCI's "players for the period October 07 to January 08" for their exploits in the Test series against Pakistan at home and against Australia Down Under:--
On whether experience should be sacrificed for youth and whether India was going in the right direction in preparing for the 2011 World Cup:
"I know my answer, but I keep it with myself. I must say that 2011 World Cup is still a long way away. But I have a lot of faith in Dilip Vengsarkar somebody whom I respect quite a lot and I am sure good things will happen under him."